Saturday, January 9, 2010

Moron Lab: author, goals and guidelines

Moron Lab (the name is a pun) presents my independent (but stupid) computer-science research.

Actually, like all sound engineers, I despise this term. I am a computer programmer. Nonetheless, if you absolutely have to read an authentic CS paper by me, you can go here. Google claims 52 citations for this thing, which I must say is not bad for a 19-year-old. Unfortunately, I am no longer a 19-year-old.

The rest of my dubious non-career can be condensed, with some loss of truth, to one word: WAP. If you ever tried and failed to use the broken "microbrowser" in your old cell phone, I deeply apologize for this entire fiasco. Not that I was responsible for your suffering - but I may have profited from it. Carriers still get considerable ARPU off accidental activations of the WAP browser whose kernel I wrote.  In fact, I think Virgin Mobile took about $10 off me this way, and is liable to get more. Alas, I am no longer connected to this revenue stream.

Due to my great personal desire to atone for these and other abortions, all Moron Lab content is entirely unauthorized, unsupervised, unsupported, uncopyrighted and unpatented. Come and get it!

So long as you don't pretend my work is yours, you can do whatever you like with it. (If my work actually is yours, it's probably because you had the same idea, but you had it first. This is common with good ideas! Send me a link and I'll post it.)

To be exact: all code and documents posted at Moron Lab are in the public domain. All code, algorithms, and designs described are mathematical formulas - nowhere patentable, at least not legally. While so for all code, this is even more so for Maxwellian code.

(However, I assume no liability for any bandit-raids some patent brigand may make on your purse. Try to travel without purse; if purse you have, guard it. Odin in the Havamal says:
A wayfarer should not walk unarmed,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need a spear,
Or what menace meet on the road.

For "spear," read "lawyer." In the early 21st century, Odin's advice is your only prudent approach to patent "law." The spear industry is certainly not about to go away.)

And yes, C. Guy Yarvin is my real name, although in real life I go by the C. This adjustment is an eggshell between my real life and my virtual life. It is not secure, but it can't hurt. So even if you know me as C. in person, I'll have to ask you to call me Guy in bits.

Intelligent comments at ML are welcome. Your comments will be read by me, and to the best of my ability responded to. However, please ensure they are directed to other readers, rather than to me - or, at least, that they will inform or entertain other readers. If you have something to say just to me, please send it to my Gmail account, which is cgyarvin.

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.